Saturday, October 08, 2005

Slashfood: "Sushi By Dummies - Wet Nap Included

The servers bring steaming hot towels when we first sit down at the sushi bar, and though I am for some reason, always tempted to lean back in my chair and lay the towel over my face to relax just a little, I don’t. This isn’t Burke-Williams.

I do what normal people do and wipe my hands, fold the towel back neatly and leave it there, just below my water glass for easy access. That’s right, easy access. Because if you’re sushi-smooth, then you know that you can eat the nigiri sushi (the mounds of rice with sliced fish on top, as opposed to sashimi) with your fingers, wiping them every once in a while on your towel. Just look at what the September issue of Food and Wine magazine sketches out.

Don’t be afraid to do it. You might get some horror-stricken looks from the noobs sitting near you, but you and the sushi chef can just share a knowing smile. Licking your fingers clean, though? I’m not so sure about that."


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?